Our Eco Policy
What we are doing to help
The state of the planet is on our minds and we are trying to do our bit. There are limitations to how far we can go given that we are trying to combine a luxurious experience for our guests with a sustainable and low-impact ecological policy. We list below some of the policies we have adopted:
- Solar panels heat the water, backed up by gasoil boiler when the sun doesn´t shine.
- Recycling - everything possible is recycled from torn sheets to wine bottles
- We try to use only LED bulbs where ever possible
- Whilst Cartajima has plenty of water, we are ever aware that water is the new gold and we must conserve it. All taps have a purlator to restrict the flow
- We shop locally using only what is available within a twenty-kilometre radius thus reducing fuel consumption.
- We purchase in small quantities to eliminate food waste.
- Although we have a clothes dryer, we keep it only for emergencies when for example a guest needs something dried quickly.
- PLASTIC - this is a biggie and difficult. We have reduced in some areas and are thinking laterally about other uses of plastic.
- We have a no disposable products policy and, for example, use only linen serviettes.
- The building has been constructed with modern thermal insulation and the windows are double glazed UPVC which close tightly reducing loss of heated or cooled air.
- All rooms have individually controlled heating and cooling to reduced wasted electricity and the A/C sytem is by heat pumps to improve efficiency
- After recycling plastic, tin, glass etc, most of what is left is compostable and we are in negotiations with a local farmer to see if he will allow us to build a compost heap. Local culture at the moment is against the idea.
Di Beach, firstname.lastname@example.org